Monday, July 23, 2012

Mango Kulfi

Last week we had some refreshingly cool rains and I was so tempted to make kulfis which have been on my to-do list for a while now.Just in time, I had half a dozen ripe Alfonso mangoes - all the more reasons to make kulfis now :)



Its such a delight to sleep late on rainy days and especially in a sweltering hot place like Chennai.I really miss the monsoons in Mumbai and how the hill tops would turn lush green in the showers...The rains had the same effect to the trees outside my kitchen and i just couldn't resist clicking them along with my kulfis.I woke up dreaming how to click my kulfis :) now you know i'm addicted to my blog!


Did i tell you we all enjoyed the kulfis while it was pouring on a saturday afternoon....how does that sound now.....great isn't it!These kulfis brought back a lot of memories from my childhood days when my dad used to bring various flavours of kulfis home....date,chickoo,mango,...yummy!


I was surprised at how easy these are to make, even when I read the recipe i was a little hesitant to try it out because i was wondering if i'd get the right consistency of milk and bla bla...But seriously you needn't bother its the easiest recipe ever and definitely a keeper!




Preparation time : cooking time: 30 mins + freezing time : overnight
Recipe source : Chef in You

You need:
Milk 2 and half cups (500ml)
Milk powder 1/4 cup
Condensed milk 1/2 cup
Sugar 1/4 cup
Mango pulp 1 cup


  • In a heavy bottomed pan, heat milk, to it add the milk powder,sugar and condensed milk.Mix well and keep stirring until this reduces (i simmered it for about 15-20 mins) 
  • Let this milk mixture cool down and then mix the mango pulp.
  • Pour into kulfi moulds and stick an ice cream stick into each mould.
  • Freeze the kulfis over night.



  • How to serve: dip each mould in some regular tap water and the kulfis will slide out of the moulds.Serve them as it is or enjoy with nuts.
Tips:
  1. Leave the stove unattended at your own risk, this mixture will definitely boil over even if you leave a spoon in it.I lost about one kulfi's mix because i went to sit for 5 mins.
  2. The sugar and condensed milk make the kulfi a bit too sweet so you can adjust according to your taste or have it as it is.
  3. I used the pulp of 4 really ripe Alfonso mangoes and i didn't strain it and we enjoyed some mango chunks in the kulfis.
  4. Use any steel tumblers to set the kulfis i did just that.



18 comments:

  1. simply superb presentation.. liked all your clicks.. reminds me of childhood :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey wow. Love this a lot. Great pics

    ReplyDelete
  3. my favourite... Nice clicks

    Great-secret-of-life.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was planning to make some icecream or kulfi , as it is very hot here for a change, kulfi's are making me nostalgic, thinking of india & my childhood days, always used to love them great clicks

    ReplyDelete
  5. please pass me one kulfi here,,, nice photos

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice recipe Princy!!!! I love kulfis! :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Princy ,

    Looks delicious !!!

    And Do collect your

    SunShine Blog Award at

    www.southindiafoodrecipes.blogspot.in

    EnjoYYYY !!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. hey Princy, thanks for sending this delicious and creamy treat to my event and using the logo

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow super delicious kulfis :) Looks so so chill and refreshing..I love mango flavor this must be very yum :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for coming by and giving me all the encouragement to keep going.

You May also like

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

ShareThis