Monday, January 5, 2015

Parupu vadai | Masala Chana dal vadai | Lentil fritters

Its really cold here in Chennai right now.I go to pick my daughter and feel like having my tea usually make some dosa or bread toasts for the hungry kid I'm surprised to see how she digs in when she gets back at times.While everyone is posting baking recipes for the season this might seem out of place.My laptop is broken and sicne my parents were visiting i had truck loads of stuff to get over with and didn't make sense making or baking anymore with us leaving shortly for our Xmas break.Also after a while today my keyboard is giving me an easy day to type else with my hero banging it up i had a tough time typing my posts i almost lost interest in writing anything.


We are back after our holidays  and its back to school time.So we need after  s c h o o l   snacks too  don't we.This i s probably the most favourite or popular tea time snack in the South of India.
 This  is not the traditional way of making this vada I people usually add all whole whole spices I have  altered it to suit my kids' tastes.


Preparation time : 15-20 mins + half hour soaking time
Makes 8-10 thin flat vadas
/


 Y o u  Need

Channa dal/kadala parupu 1 cup
Ginger 1 inch piece
Green chilli 1 nos
Sambar/small Onion 4-5 nos
Cumin seeds/jeerakam 1/4 tsp
Aniseeds/perumjeerakam/saunf - 1/2 tsp
Asoefetida powder a pinch
Curry leaves 2 sprigs
Salt to taste
Oi l to  deep   f ry
/

  •  Soak the dal for half hour , drain the water completely after half hour now the dal would be swollen up.
  • Clean all other ingredients - peel ginger and onions, wash green chillies, curry leaves.
  • Now add all the ingredients along with dal and coursely grind like shown in pic above.
  • Pick small balls and flatten  it  using  your palms.
  • N o w  heat oil in wok and fry vadas until golden.



Enjoy spicy hot vadas with hot tea.

Tips :

- IF you leave the water too much in the dal it will be too soggy and break.
- The mixture if too course also will break.
- Adjust the spices as per your taste i add them minimally for my kids.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for coming by and giving me all the encouragement to keep going.

You May also like

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

ShareThis