Whats with bottle gourd and me?Am I flooding this space with recipes of bottle gourd actually no this is only my second one here and I've been seeing on tv lately how versatile this vegetable is and I am getting ideas which I will put into action soon I hope.
I've written more than enough about this humble vegetable in my other post here . Now let me get to this recipe and how I started making it is because mummy dear told me to try obviously.She's the one who keeps giving me such good ideas.I used to make them only with dal once upon a time and got bored of that.This is much easier and find tastier to go with rotis for dinner which is what I'm usually experimenting on daily.
Bottle gourd/lauki/soraka/peerkanga 1 small or half of a large one
Onion 2 medium
Tomato 1 large
Green chilli 1 small
Ginger crushed 1 inch piece
Garlic 3 pods
Garam masala powder 1 tsp
Salt to taste
Oil 2 tablespoon
Cumin seeds/jeera 1 tsp
Cinamon stick 1 inch piece
Dhaniya/coriander powder 1/2 tsp
Coriander leaves to garnish
- Chop the bottle gourd into dices and finely chop the onions and tomatoes.
- Heat oil in a pan, add the cumin and cinamon stick.Add giinger, garlic , onion, green chilli let this fry well until the onions are traslucent.
- Then add the tomatoes and allow to mash well.
- Add the diced bottle gourd and cover and cook well.
- Add salt and add about quarter cup of water if needed.
- Add garam masala powder, dhaniya powder and saute well.
- Cover and cook for another 5 minutes and turn off the heat when the bottle gourd has cooked completely.
- Sprinkle coriander leaves generously.