Everyone is health conscious these days and with the increasing choice for unhealthy/junk food that our kids prefer to have it becomes our duty to supply healthy food at home.My LM is a choosy eater I'm still trying to make her eat her veggies and pulses she does love certain veggies and pulses but not all.She mainly hates onions and tomatoes now salads are her best bet!
I used to be a big fan of these red kidney beans that i used to make dal makhani so often then DH started complaining that it got too boring.Red kidney beans need to be cooked well unlike other legumes else they taste way too bland.This recipe was such a life saver we all loved it with our rotis and rice too.
Recipe source - Here
Rajma/Red kidney beans 1 cup
Cumin seeds/Fennel 1 tsp
Green chillies 1 slit at the top
Onions 1 large
Tomato 2 medium
Ginger 2tsp chopped finely/Grated
Dhaniya/coriander+cumin/jeera powder 2 tsp
Turmeric powder/haldi 1/2 tsp
Salt to taste
Salt to taste
Onions to serve
Lime juice/Amchur to taste (optional)
To cook the red kidney beans:
- Soak the rajma over night or more longer i soaked it the previous day afternoon.
-Into the pressure cooker add few whole spices -3/4- cardamoms,3-4 cloves and a piece of cinnamon,a bay leaf, few black peppercorns, now pressure cook the red kidney beans until soft that will need about 10-12 minutes on medium flame or for a 4 whistles.(or use canned red kidney beans will be faster and easier) Alternatively make a small pouch with the whole spices add it to the cooker while cooking the beans and take it out when its done.
- Add salt to taste for the beans in the cooker.
To make the gravy
- Heat oil in a pan, add the Fennel, onions and fry well.Once thats done add the ginger and green chillies.
- Next add the tomatoes and let this get cooked until mushy.
- Add the turmeric powder, dhaniya-jeera powder and fry until the raw smell goes away.
- Add the cooked beans and cook well in the gravy.
- Serve hot with chopped onions, lime wedges and chopped coriander leaves with rotis, naans or steamed rice.
Sending this to Veggie/Fruit of the month - Onion at Sowmya's and Priya's VFAM page
and Foodabulous Fest - Ramzan and Mango season