These I can say, are my mom's signature dish.Any party/getogether she'd be requested for these. Mom makes them well even people who detest fish will just gobble down a few and won't believe its got fish in them.
I started making it some time ago i thought it was way too much work, i used to help my mother roll the cutlets and bread them but now the basic process.Anyway I was allergic to cleaning meats and fish before my marriage and after marriage i have no choice do I!
I wasn't too fond of fish until i returned from London.There somehow we never cooked fish and chicken was the only non veg we had.I used to buy frozen shrimps.The day i came back i asked my mom to make fish curry for breakfast that's how badly i missed the fish!!
This is not complicated and you can make it ahead of time and refrigerate it,and fry it when you have to serve it.
You need to do this in 3 steps :
Step 1:cooking the fish
King fish 5 slices/pieces (you can use any fleshy fish)
Cinnamon stick 1 inch
CLoves,cardamom 3 each
Turmeric powder/haldi 1 tsp
Salt 1 tsp
- Pour some water enough to submerge the fish and drop the spices and fish into the water and cook until the fish is soft and tender.
- Once its cooked, remove the fish and pour the water away, peel the skin of the fish and remove any bones.Shred the fish with your fingers or a fork into tiny bits.
Step 2:Preparing the cutlet mix
Onions 1 large chopped finely
Tomato 1 small
Ginger garlic paste 2 teaspoon
Garam masala 1 tsp
Green chillies finely chopped
Coriander leaves/cilantro chopped finely
Potato 1 large boiled and mashed
Salt to taste
Cloves 3,cinnamon an inch long piece,cardomom 3,peppercorns 1tsp,fennel seeds 1tsp (roasted and powdered)1 tsp (you can store this in the refrigerator and use later)
Oil 2-3 tablespoons
- heat oil in a pan, add the onions,green chillies and fry until onions are translucent and soft.
- Next add the ginger garlic paste to this,add the tomato and let it mash well.
- Add the garam masala and let it fry well until the raw smell goes away.
- Add the mashed potatoes and shredded fish.Check for salt.Add the roasted and powdered whole spice powder.Turn off the heat.
- Add the chopped cilantro.Let this cool.
- Once cooled you can shape the cutlets into any desired shape and let it rest.
Step 3:Breading the cutlets
Egg 1 beaten well with salt and pepper
Oil to deep fry
- Take each rolled cutlet and dip it into the egg mix and then into the bread crumbs.leave it on a plate until you repeat for the remaining cutlets.
- If you are going to freeze it at this stage store in a airtight container and stash in the freezer.Before you fry it leave it at room temperature for some time.
|ready to be frozen!|
-Fry them in hot oil and drain the excess oil on kitchen towels.
- serve crunchy fishy cutlets hot with tomato sauce.